These snack-sized sliders are loaded with lean protein like chickpeas and turkey and a double-dose of apples, making them just as delicious as they are healthy and perfect for packing in the school lunchbox. Feel free to use Ontario Empire, Gala, McIntosh or Ambrosia apples for best results.
50 minTotal Time
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 lb extra lean ground turkey
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 cup peeled and finely diced Ontario apples*
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 cup peeled and thinly sliced Ontario apples*
- 7 slices of cheddar cheese, quartered
- 14 slider buns (try to find whole-wheat)
- In a food processor or blender, pulse chickpeas until pea size or smaller, about 30 seconds. In a large bowl mix chickpeas with turkey, poultry seasoning, apples, green onions, salt and pepper. Scoop 1/4 cup (60 mL) of the turkey mixture into your hand and form into a 1-inch thick burger. Repeat until the entire mixture has been used.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the burgers, 3 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Add apple slices and cheddar cheese to the tops of the burgers and cover with a lid for one minute or until the cheese is melted. Serve on slider buns or wrapped in Boston lettuce and enjoy.
*Variety Tip: Use Ontario Empire, Gala, McIntosh or Ambrosia apples