Add some potato to these classic cheddar potato buns that are always a hit, no matter what the age. Tender, chewy, cheesy and full-flavoured, you can make extras of this recipe and have it last you for the weekday lunches!
15 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 1 cup (250 mL) warm water
- 2 1/4 tsp (11 mL) instant yeast
- 4 cups (1 L) all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 medium russet potato
- 1 stick (4 oz/1/2 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp (7.25 mL) salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) mustard powder
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 cups (500 mL) grated sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) melted butter
- In a medium bowl, combine the water, yeast, and 1 1/2 cups of the flour and stir until combined. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place until doubled in size – about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Prick the potato all over with a fork. Microwave until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool, then peel the potato and grate on the large holes of a box grater.
- Combine the butter, sugar, salt and mustard powder in a stand mixer. Beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in the eggs and grated potato until combined, then beat in the yeast mixture and 1 1/2 cups cheddar. Reduce the mixer speed to low and gradually beat in the remaining 2 1/2 cups flour until the dough starts coming together in a soft, sticky ball. Shape into a loose ball and transfer to a lightly oiled bowl, turning to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise, about 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (176¬ºC). Spray a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and divide into small pieces. Shape each piece into a ball, dusting with flour as needed, and arrange in the baking dish so they are slightly touching.
- Spray a sheet of foil with nonstick cooking spray and loosely cover the rolls, oiled-side down. Bake for 30 minutes. Uncover, brush with the 2 tbsp melted butter and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup cheddar. Continue baking for 20 more minutes. Remove from oven, let cool on a wire rack and serve while they’re still warm.