For super busy weeknights where you need to whip up something quick and filling for dinner, make this cheesy mushroom and beef skillet. One pot and 30 minutes later, you’ll have something that everyone will love and they won’t even realize they’re eating veggie goodness!
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 8 oz (226 g) fresh button Mushrooms
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 lb (226 g) lean ground beef
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) dried minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) dried minced onion
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) each salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 3 cups 750 mL) low-sodium chicken broth
- 6 cups (1.5 L) extra broad egg noodles
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sharp Cheddar cheese spread
- 1 cup (250 mL) peas
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped parsley or chives
- Place the mushrooms in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Pulse until finely chopped.
- Heat the oil in a large, nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes or until softened. Add the mushrooms, ground beef, seasoning blend, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the skillet; stir for 1 minute. Pour in the broth and bring to a boil. Stir in the noodles. Cook, covered, for 7 minutes.
- Stir in the cheese spread and peas. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until the noodles are tender and the sauce is thickened. Stir in the parsley. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of our featured member, Mushrooms Canada.