This Cherry Tomato and Sweet Potato Galettes appetizer is best served warm and fresh. A play on a classic French pastry but using sweet potatoes and cherry tomatoes creates a beautiful savory tart for any occasion.
- 3 Sweet Potatoes
- 18 oz (227 g) Puff Pastry
- 1 Egg- lightly beaten
- 6 tbsp (90 ml) High Fat Sour Cream
- 4 oz (114 ml) Goat Cheese
- 1 lb (454 g) Ontario Greenhouse Cherry Tomatoes – halved
- 1 Finger Chili – seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Olive Oil
- 1 Garlic Clove – minced
- 1 tbsp (15 g) Flat leaf Parsley- chopped
- Kosher Salt & Freshly Ground Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400⁰F. Bake the sweet potatoes in their skins for 35-45 minutes until slightly soft but still firm in the middle. You can check this by inserting a knife into the center of the potato. Remove from the oven and let cool until easy to handle. Peel the sweet potatoes and slice into thin rounds.
- On a lightly floured surface roll the puff pastry to bring to 1/16inch thickness. Cut into 3 even rectangles and prick the entire pastry with a fork.
- Line a small baking sheet tray with parchment paper and transfer the pastry rectangles to the tray. Be sure to leave at least 2 inches between each pastry and leave to rest in the fridge for at least 30 min.
- To assemble, remove pastry from the fridge and brush with lightly beaten egg. Spread equal thin layers of sour cream on each pastry leaving a ¼ inch border all around. Arrange the potato slices on the pastry, slightly overlapping, add the Ontario greenhouse cherry tomatoes to each pastry, crumble goat cheese and top with sliced chili.
- Bake for 20-25 min until pastry is cooked through and golden.
- While the pastry is cooking, you can combine the garlic, olive oil, parsley and a touch of salt. As soon as the pastries come out of the oven, brush them with this mixture and season with freshly cracked black pepper and addition kosher salt.
This recipe was provided by our featured member, Ontario Greenhouse Vegetable Growers.