Why go to a restaurant when you can create a beautiful appetizer like this to serve to friends? Make it a colourful platter by serving the flatbread with Ontario-grown greenhouse mini peppers, cucumbers and tomatoes. Alternatively, two could enjoy this flatbread as a meal with a side salad.
Serves 6 - 8 as an appetizer; 2 as a main meal
- 1 package of store-bought naan bread (Package of two, 220g)
- ¼ red onion
- ¼ cup baby spinach
- 1 package of Ontario greenhouse-grown strawberries
- 4 tablespoons Honey Garlic or Applewood BBQ sauce (or use your favourite brand), divided
- 1 chicken breast**, grilled and cut thin
- Warm your naan bread in a preheated oven at 350°F for about 5-10 minutes.
- While the naan warms, prepare your produce. Cut red onion in half. With one half, slice into very fine long strips. Dice the other half into small pieces.
- Wash and dry the spinach. Wash, spin dry and hull the strawberries. Cut the berries into thin slices so they can form a fan. Set aside ¼ cup of the berries and chop these more finely. Stir together the finely cut berries with 1 tbsp of the BBQ sauce and set aside.
- Remove the naan from the oven and top with the remaining BBQ sauce over, dividing it over both pieces. Evenly distribute spinach, chicken, onions and berries, then drizzle the top with the BBQ sauce you’d set aside with the berries incorporated into it. Cut and enjoy at once.
If you like your flatbread more moist, increase the BBQ sauce to 1/3 cup Feel free to replace the grilled chicken breast with part of a store-bought rotisserie chicken.
This recipe was kindly provided by our partner the Ontario Berry Growers.