Homemade chicken nuggets are healthier and taste fresher than their fast-food counterparts, plus they’re a perfect kid-friendly dinner. Amp up your dipping sauce with Chilean oranges by making this creamy coconut orange sweet dipping sauce for your homemade chicken nuggets!
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) ground golden flaxseed
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp (10 mL) zest from a fresh Chilean lemon
- 2 tsp (10 mL) onion powder
- 2 tsp (10 mL) garlic powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) yellow mustard powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- 1/2 (2.5 mL) black pepper
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut into 2-3 inch pieces
- 1 fresh Chilean orange zested and juiced - about 1/2 cup/125 mL) (use more juice if necessary for flavor)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) coconut milk
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Thai sweet chili sauce
- 2 tsp (10 mL) minced fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) honey
- 2 tsp (10 mL) cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 400°F(205°C). In a medium sized bowl, lightly beat egg and stir in butter.
- In a separate bowl, combine flax, parmesan, lemon zest, onion powder, garlic powder, mustard powder, salt and black pepper.
- Lightly salt chicken, then dip each piece of chicken in the egg mixture, letting excess drip off, and then roll in flax mixture until coated.
- Place chicken about 1-inch apart on a parchment or silicon lined baking sheet and cook for 15-20 minutes, flipping once halfway, or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, place orange juice and zest, coconut milk, chili sauce, ginger and honey in a saucepan and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir together cornstarch with 1 tablespoon water and stir into orange mixture.
- Continue to simmer until slightly thickened.
- Serve nuggets with dipping sauce.
This recipe was kindly provided by our featured member, Citrus from Chile!