This incredibly filling yet simple Chicken Scallopini with Mushroom-Tarragon Sauce makes a great weeknight dinner to add to your rotation. Use Ontario-grown mushrooms to celebrate local food!
- 1 lb (500 g) chicken cutlets (thin sliced)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) flour
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) each unsalted butter and vegetable oil, divided
- 8 ozs (250 g) cremini or button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 small shallots, finely chopped
- ¾ cup (180 mL) dry white wine
- 1 cup (250 mL) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup (125 mL) heavy (35%) cream
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh tarragon
- Pound chicken pieces with mallet to 1/8-inch (3 mm) thickness. Cut into medallions. Combine flour, salt and pepper on a plate. Dust chicken pieces lightly.
- In large non-stick deep skillet, cook chicken cutlets in half butter and oil over medium-high heat, until browned on both sides, about 4 minutes (do this in batches if necessary). Remove chicken from skillet and keep warm.
- Add remaining butter and oil to skillet. Add mushrooms and shallots, cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until browned, about 4 minutes. Add wine and cook about 1 minute.
- Stir in broth, cream and mustard; bring to a boil and cook over high heat until lightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Reduce heat and stir in tarragon, salt and pepper to taste.
- Return chicken pieces to skillet with any accumulated juices, coating with sauce mixture. Simmer for 3-5 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
Nutrients per serving (1/4 recipe): 433 calories, 25 g total fat, 417 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrates, 1 g fibre, 34 g protein. Excellent source of riboflavin and niacin. Good source of vitamin B12, magnesium and zinc.