This vegan version of your favourite soup is loaded with fibre-rich chickpeas, staple veggies like carrots, celery and onion, a variety of robust spices and a spiral noodle that brings the whole thing together. It’s a must-make meal for fall that should to be added to your recipe repertoire stat!
Serves 4 - 6179
- 2 cups of uncooked rotini (or pasta of your choice)
- 1 tbsp canola or sunflower oil
- 1 medium cooking onion from Ontario, diced
- 1 heaping cup diced Ontario carrot (2-3 carrots)
- 1 heaping cup diced celery (3-4 ribs of celery)
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning (yes! It's vegan.)
- ½ tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 6 cups water (or vegetable broth)
- 1/4 cup mushroom seasoning granules (omit if you're using seasoned vegetable broth)
- 1 can of chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- Optional: Salted crackers to serve
- Bring a pot of water to boil and add 2 cups of rotini. Cook until al dente (it'll cook a little more when you add it to the soup). Drain and set aside.
- In the same pot, heat oil and cook onion, diced carrot and celery over medium heat until translucent.
- Add poultry seasoning (if not using broth), dried parsley and turmeric, and stir to coat. Deglaze the pot with a splash of water or vegetable broth and stir until bubbling and the vegetables are heated through.
- Pour in the remaining water, mushroom seasoning granules (if using) and drained chickpeas; bring to a boil. Lower to a happy simmer and cover to cook for 15 to 20 minutes, or until veggies are tender.
- Once your veggies are cooked through, stir in the cooked pasta, and allow to cook for a few more minutes to heat everything through. Ladle into bowls and serve at once.
Recipe developed by Lisa Le of The Viet Vegan for Produce Made Simple.