20 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 1 3/4 cups (425 mL) pastry flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) peeled grated Ontario beets
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- 1 1/4 cup (300 mL) sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla extract
- 2 pkg (each 8 oz/250 g) cream cheese, cold
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups (750 mL) icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Ontario beet juice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line two 8-inch (20 cm) round cake pans with parchment paper. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt until combined; set aside. Add beets, cocoa powder and milk to a blender and purée until well combined; set aside.
- Beat sugar with oil until combined. Beat in eggs one at a time until combined. Stir in beet mixture and vanilla extract. Add flour mixture and stir until just moistened.
- Divide between cake pans and bake for 25 to 35 minutes or until a tester inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool in pan on a cooling rack for 30 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely.
- Place the first layer of cake on platter and spread a generous amount of Cream Cheese Frosting. Top with the second cake layer and frost the top and sides of the cake. Chill for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Beat cream cheese and butter just until combined; do not overbeat. Add icing sugar in two additions, beating until smooth; do not over mix. Stir in vanilla and beet juice.
Notes: To make beet juice for tinting frosting, shred a peeled small beet. Using gloves squeeze juice to make 1 tsp (5 mL) juice. Keep shredded beet for another use such as a salad.
Tip: Cream Cheese Frosting can get too soft if overbeaten or if cream cheese is too soft/warm when making the icing.