It may look like an all-chocolate cake, but this one is packed full of beets, too, which lend moisture to the crumb and amps up the chocolate flavour of the dish.
20 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 1 3/4 cups (425 mL) pastry flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) peeled grated Ontario beets
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- 1 1/4 cup (300 mL) sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla extract
- 2 pkg (each 8 oz/250 g) cream cheese, cold
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups (750 mL) icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Ontario beet juice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line two 8-inch (20 cm) round cake pans with parchment paper. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt until combined; set aside. Add beets, cocoa powder and milk to a blender and purée until well combined; set aside.
- Beat sugar with oil until combined. Beat in eggs one at a time until combined. Stir in beet mixture and vanilla extract. Add flour mixture and stir until just moistened.
- Divide between cake pans and bake for 25 to 35 minutes or until a tester inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool in pan on a cooling rack for 30 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely.
- Place the first layer of cake on platter and spread a generous amount of Cream Cheese Frosting. Top with the second cake layer and frost the top and sides of the cake. Chill for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Beat cream cheese and butter just until combined; do not overbeat. Add icing sugar in two additions, beating until smooth; do not over mix. Stir in vanilla and beet juice.
Notes: To make beet juice for tinting frosting, shred a peeled small beet. Using gloves squeeze juice to make 1 tsp (5 mL) juice. Keep shredded beet for another use such as a salad.
Tip: Cream Cheese Frosting can get too soft if overbeaten or if cream cheese is too soft/warm when making the icing.