This recipe is actually a family favourite of the family behind Carron Farms. It’s chocolatey and moist, and you can barely notice the beety goodness (aside from the vibrant colour!).
- 1 3/4 cup (430 mL) flour
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) cocoa powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cinnamon
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) softened unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 red beets, cooked, peeled, drained, and mashed
- 3/4 cup milk or buttermilk
- Optional: chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375ªF (190ºC).
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a large separate bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and creamed. Add eggs one at a time, and beat in until incorporated. Add the mashed beets and beat until incorporated.
- Alternate adding the flour mixture and milk until no lumps remain. Stir in the chocolate chips if desired.
- Divide into lined muffin tins and bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when poked in the middle.
This recipe was kindly provided by our featured member, Carron Farms!