Chocolate dipped cranberry cookies are perfectly festive for the holiday season, especially for cookie exchanges! Cranberries add a balancing tartness to rich chocolate. Feel free to experiment with different kinds of nuts to dip your cookies—you can try almonds, walnuts, or pistachios!
Makes about 3 dozen cookies
- 1 cup (250 mL) shortening
- 1 cup (250 mL) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2 cups (500 mL) all purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- 2 cups (500 mL) Ocean Spray Fresh or Frozen Cranberries
- 1 cups (325 mL) semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
- 1 1/4 cups (310 mL) chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease cookie sheets.
- Using an electric mixer, beat shortening and sugar together in a medium mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and egg; mix well.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a separate mixing bowl. Add to shortening mixture, mixing until a soft dough forms. Stir in cranberries.
- Immediately drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool completely.
- Dip half of each cookie into melted chocolate and then in nuts. Allow chocolate to dry completely.
This recipe is courtesy of our featured member, Ocean Spray.