These chunky cranberry apple bran muffins are perfect for breakfast or to pack in kids lunches for school. For best results, use Ontario Cortland, Crispin, Jonagold, Golden Delicious, Idared, Northern Spy, or Spartan apples.
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) natural bran
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) milk
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp (7.5 mL) baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp (7.5 mL) cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) baking soda
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) nutmeg
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) chopped peeled Ontario apples
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dried cranberries
- 2 tsp (10 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cinnamon
- Before you begin: Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C)
- In large bowl, combine bran and milk; let rest 5 minutes.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, soda and nutmeg.
- Stir brown sugar, oil and egg into bran mixture. Stir in dry ingredients just until combined. Stir in apples and dried cranberries.
- Spoon batter into greased muffin cups. For topping, combine granulated sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over muffins. Bake in a 400°F (200°C) oven for about 18 minutes or until tester comes out clean.
This recipe is kindly provided by our featured member, Ontario Apple Growers.