Serve hot with a “knob” (small bit) of butter , if desired.
15 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 6 medium yellow-flesh Ontario Potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- ¼ cup (60 mL) unsalted butter
- 3 cups (750 mL) lightly packed chopped kale (thick stem removed)
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk or cream
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- “knob” butter (optional)
- Place potatoes in large pot and cover with cold water by at least 1-inch (2.5 cm). Add a little salt and bring to a boil. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until fork tender; drain in colander.
- Return pot to stove and melt butter over medium heat. Add kale and cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring often, until wilted. Add green onions and cook briefly. Stir in milk and heat through. Remove pot from heat. Add hot potatoes and mash using a masher. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Nutrients per serving (1/6 recipe): 226 calories, 9 g total fat, 45 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrates, 3 g fibre, 5 g protein. Excellent source of vitamin A and vitamin C. Good source of magnesium. Note: Extra optional knob of butter not included.