Looking for a creamy soup with a kick? Try this creamy cucumber soup with fresh jalapeño to deliver a little kick of heat. For a contrasting texture, add some cucumber salsa as a garnish on top to finish it off.
- 1 1/2 large Ontario Greenhouse Seedless Cucumbers, diced, (approx. 5 1/2 cups/1375 mL)
- 1 medium cooking onion, chopped (about 1 cup (240 mL))
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely diced fresh jalapeño (1 whole)
- 5 tbsp (75 mL) butter
- 3 3/4 cups (940 mL) low-sodium chicken stock (vegetable stock for a vegetarian option)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) whipping cream
- 1 1/2 tsp (7.5 mL) salt (to taste)
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- Melt butter in a medium pot over medium heat. Add onion, jalapeño and stir to cook until onions are translucent. Add diced cucumber and continue cooking for an additional 5 minutes.
- Pour in stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for approximately 20 minutes covered until the cucumber is soft.
- Puree the soup in batches in a blender (or use a hand held blender right in the pot).
- Return pureed soup back in the pot and add cream. Heat through over low heat. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
This recipe was provided courtesy of our featured member, Ontario Greenhouse Vegetable Growers.