Looking for a fast and easy homemade pasta dinner to replace boxed mac n cheese? This butternut squash-infused macaroni and cheese recipe is ready in 30 minutes or less, and so tasty your kids are sure to clean their plates.
- ½ butternut squash (about 3 cups of peeled, cubed squash)
- 1 box (454 g) of macaroni noodles
- 2 tbsp butter
- ¼ of one yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic (or 1 clove garlic, minced)
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ cups milk (1% or 2% milk is recommended)
- 1 ½ cups grated cheese. We recommend a mixture of old cheddar and parmesan to get the really cheesy flavour.
- Peel and chop squash into 1-inch cubes. Boil in a large pot until fork tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- At the same time, start cooking your pasta in a second large pot. When the two pots are cooking, cut your onion and garlic.
- In a third, smaller pot, melt butter and add onion and garlic. Cook over medium heat until onion is soft about 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat and stir flour into butter and onion mixture. It will become a thick paste. Then pour over milk and turn up heat to medium again. Whisk the mixture regularly and the flour will combine with the milk and thicken up into a white sauce. This takes about 8 minutes. When you get a creamy sauce consistency, remove from heat and add in cheese, stirring until it is melted.
- Let the sauce rest while you drain the macaroni and squash. Either mash the squash by hand or in a blender for a very fine consistency. Stir the squash into the cheese sauce and combine well. Pour squash-cheese sauce over the pasta and stir well to combine. Serve immediately!