Homemade soup can be easy to make and delicious! Serve immediately topped with chopped basil and shredded parmesan cheese and pair with a delicious grilled cheese sandwich.
1 hr, 10 Total Time
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1 tbsp minced fresh garlic
- 2 ½ cups chopped carrots
- 7 cups Beefsteak tomatoes (2 ¾ containers or 2 ¾ pounds) cored, peeled and chopped
- 1 Sweet Bell Pepper - Red
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 small bunch of fresh basil, half chopped for garnish
- ½ cup 35% cream
- ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over low medium heat and add onion, garlic and cook for 5 minutes. Add carrots and cook for 15 minutes
- Meanwhile, use a blender and blend until smooth tomatoes and red pepper, add to pot then season with salt and pepper.
- Add stock then bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer the soup covered for 30 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and fresh basil and simmer for another 30 minutes. Add the cream and stir to combine.
- Serve immediately topped with the chopped basil and shredded parmesan cheese.
Keeps well in the refrigerator for a few days or can be frozen for several months. We don’t advise adding the parmesan cheese to the soup pot as it tends to melt and stick to the sides of the pot making it more difficult to clean. Keep it for a garnish!
Recipe courtesy of DelFrescoPure