Something sweet paired with something savoury, that’s what we’re all about! Make your own crispy chicken fingers with a side of Ontario apple fries!
- 2 cups (500 mL) apple cider
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter (or non-hydrogenated margarine)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) coarse salt (optional)
- 4 Ontario apples (Empire or Spy), peeled cored and cut into 8 wedges (per apple)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh chopped thyme
- 1 cup (250 mL) crushed corn flakes (or crushed whole grain flakes)
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) salt (optional)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) fresh chopped parsley
- 1 lb (500 g) chicken breasts, sliced into strips
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) sweet chili sauce
- In large saucepan over medium-high heat, boil cider until reduced to 1/3 cup (80 mL), about 20 minutes (will have a syrupy consistency). Remove from heat; whisk in butter and salt.
- Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C). In bowl, toss apples with 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the glaze and 1/2 tbsp (7.5 mL) of thyme. Arrange in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Set aside.
- In bowl combine corn flake crumbs, salt and parsley. Set aside. Dip chicken strips in sweet chili sauce and then coat with corn flakes. Arrange in a single layer on a greased baking sheet.
- Place chicken on the top third and the apples on the bottom third of the oven. Roast for 10 minutes. Turn chicken, drizzle apples with remaining glaze and switch baking sheets so the apples are now on the top third of oven. Continue to roast for 10 minutes and remove chicken from oven. Let chicken fingers cool while apples finish caramelizing, about 5 to 10 minutes more.
- Sprinkle apples with remaining thyme and additional salt if desired.
Per serving: about 220 cal, 18 g pro, 5 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 25 g carb, 2 g fibre, 55 mg chol, 780 mg sodium. %RDI: iron 10%, calcium 2%, vit A 8%, vit C 15%