This slaw is the perfect colourful and healthy accompaniment to classic kid favourites like grilled cheese, mac and cheese, or other meals that could use a little extra fruit and veg. This crunchy apple slaw will be a hit with the kids – it’s the perfect way to sneak fruit and veggies into lunch time.
- 4 Ontario Apples*, cored
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
- 2 carrots, julienned or grated
- 1/4 cabbage, shredded
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) olive oil
- Thinly slice apples. Arrange 6 slices on top of one another and cut into thin strips. Repeat with remaining apples. In medium bowl, toss apples with lemon juice and stir in carrots, cabbage and green onions.
- In separate bowl, whisk together vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper and olive oil. Stir into apple mixture and gently toss to combine.
Recipe courtesy of Ontario Apple Growers