This cucumber ribbon salad is a beautiful way to serve cucumber with Japanese ingredients. Rice vinegar and sesame oil add acidity and umami, and a touch of sugar balances it out for the ultimate salad dressing. Black sesame seeds completes this take on Japanese dressing.
10 minPrep Time
5 minCook Time
15 minTotal Time
- 1 Ontario greenhouse seedless cucumber (approx. 12" long)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) rice vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) white sugar
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) sea salt
- Black sesame seeds for garnish
- Optional: Freshly chopped coriander or dill for extra flavour or garnish
- Trim the ends off the cucumber. Cut the cucumber in half through the centre (that way the noodles won’t be too long). Using a vegetable peeler, very sharp knife or mandolin, slice the cucumber lengthwise into thin ribbons. Place in medium bowl.
- Combine vinegar, sesame oil, sugar and sea salt. Stir well to dissolve sugar.
- Just before serving, pour the dressing over the cucumber ribbons and toss gently.
- Place in serving bowl and garnish with sesame seeds and herbs if desired.
This recipe was provided courtesy of our featured member, Ontario Greenhouse Vegetable Growers.