This super refreshing salad recipe is a great way to enjoy lots of hydrating produce from Ontario! This cucumber and watermelon salad is full of fresh, thirst-quenching flavour.
Cucumber water is a great pairing for this refreshing salad. To maximize all parts of the Ontario greenhouse cucumber, add left over ends of cucumbers or slices into a pitcher of ice water. This makes for a thirst quenching beverage.
- 5 lbs. seedless or regular watermelon
- 2 cups (500 g) Ontario greenhouse cucumbers, thinly sliced
- ½ cup (125 g) red onion, slivered
- 1/3 cup (170 ml) cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp. (45 g) fresh basil leaves
- 2 tbsp. (30 g) sugar
- Fresh basil sprigs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut watermelon into cubes to make 6 cups.
- In a shallow bowl, gently mix watermelon pieces with cucumber, onion, vinegar, basil leaves and sugar.
- Garnish with basil sprigs. Season to taste with salt and pepper
Per serving (273 g): Calories 80 Fat 0.4 g (1 %), Saturated Fat 0 g + Trans Fat 0 g (0 %), Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 55 mg (2 %), Carbohydrate 20 g (7 %), Fibre 1 g (4%), Sugars 16 g, Protein 2 g, Vit A (15 %), Vit C (30 %), Calcium (2 %), Iron (6 %). % = % Daily Value
This recipe was provided by our featured member, Ontario Greenhouse Vegetable Growers