For a hearty and savoury dinner that’s full of great flavour and nutrition, make this curry, mushroom, and lentil shepherd’s pie. It’s full of protein, energy, and delicious veggies that add colour to the dinner table. Kid-friendly and gluten-free too!
20 minPrep Time
35 minCook Time
55 minTotal Time
- 1 1/4 lb (625 g) Ontario sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 1/4 lb (625 g) Ontario potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and left whole
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) milk
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and freshly ground pepper
- Pinch freshly ground nutmeg (optional)
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 lb (250 g) Ontario white mushrooms, chopped
- 3/4 lb (375 g) Ontario cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) freshly ground pepper
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced ginger
- 4 tsp (20 mL) Indian curry paste (mild, medium or hot)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) tomato paste
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) paprika
- 1 can (540 mL) lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) vegetable broth
- 2 cups (500 mL) stemmed and shredded kale or spinach
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
- Sweet Potato Topping: Cook sweet potatoes, potatoes and garlic in boiling salted water set over medium heat for 18 to 20 minutes or until tender. Drain well. Return back to pot. Add milk, butter, salt, pepper and nutmeg; mash until smooth.
- Lentil Mushroom Filling: Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Meanwhile, heat 2 tbsp (30 mL) in large skillet set over high heat. Cook white and cremini mushrooms with salt and pepper in batches for 5 to 8 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a plate.
- Heat remaining oil in same skillet set over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, celery, garlic and ginger. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in curry paste, tomato paste and paprika and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant. Stir in mushrooms, lentils and kale. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until heated through. Stir in broth; cook for 5 to 8 minutes or until most of liquid has evaporated. Stir in lemon juice and cilantro.
- Scrape lentil mixture into an 8-inch (20 cm) square baking pan. Spoon Sweet Potato Topping over filling and smooth top. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until filling is bubbly and topping is golden.
This recipe is generously sponsored by Windmill Farms