For cute and festive decorations, try making these DIY cranberry garlands! Add cinnamon sticks, pinecones, and popcorn if you want to add some variety and colour, but cranberry garlands on their own are beautiful as they are!
- 1 thin sewing needle
- Strong cord or waxed dental floss
- 1-2 12-oz. bags Ocean Spray® Fresh Cranberries
- Fresh popped popcorn, acorns, whole cinnamon sticks, pinecones, etc., optional
- Drill, optional
- Very fine drill bit (just wide enough to make a hole for the wire), optional
- Pliers, optional
- Start with a long length of thread and a thin needle. Knot one end of the string and add Ocean Spray® Fresh Cranberries one at a time by piercing through the center with the needle. Continue to make desired length; secure end with a large knot. To make stringing cranberries easier, use waxed dental floss or try waxing the needle and thread with beeswax.
- If desired, alternate cranberries with other items like popcorn, whole cinnamon sticks, or wooden beads. For popcorn, simply thread through the centre of the kernel. Cinnamon sticks can be threaded through their natural opening in the centre of the stick.
- For pinecones or acorns: use a power drill and a very fine bit that will drill a hole just big enough for the wire. Place paper towels on the work surface to catch acorn debris. Use pliers to hold the acorn securely at a slight angle — the top blade on the cap, and the lower blade on the bottom. Rest the pliers against the paper towels temporarily so the drill can "bite" into the acorn just under the cap. Then raise the pliers from the work surface so the drill can get through the acorn.)
- Dispose of garland after a day or two, before berries get soft. To prolong the life of the garland, try spraying shellac on the cranberries after stringing them. To avoid staining, do not place the garland directly on lightly-painted surfaces or linens.
Caution: for the safety of wildlife and birds, do not use shellac if you plan to hang strings outdoors.
This craft is courtesy of our featured member, Ocean Spray.