This is super delicious as a main dessert, but you could also cut into smaller pieces and serve as finger food at a party! Apples glazed with apricot jam and brandy on a puff pastry base – easy to prepare and elegant to serve.
- 1 397 g package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 4 large Ontario apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cinnamon
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) apricot jam or orange marmalade
- 2 tsp (10 mL) apricot brandy or orange liqueur
- Before you begin: Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C)
- On lightly floured surface roll out half of puff pastry dough into a 9 inch (23 cm) square. Cut dough into four 4
- 1/2 inch (11.5 cm) squares; place on baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough.
- In large bowl toss apple slices with lemon juice. In small bowl, combine 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the sugar and cinnamon;
- stir into apples.
- Lay apple slices on pastry, overlapping slightly.
- Bake in a 400°F (200°C) oven for 15 minutes; sprinkle remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) sugar over apples. Return tarts to
- oven and bake about 10 minutes longer or until pastry is puffed and golden.
- Prepare glaze:
- In small bowl, combine apricot jam and brandy (or orange marmalade and liqueur); brush glaze over warm tarts.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Variety Tip: For best results, use Ontario Empire, Cortland, Crispin, Golden Delicious, Idared, Northern Spy, or Spartan apples
Recipe courtesy of onapples.com