French onion soup is a recipe that many love but few have tried to make at home. Foodie Nicole Burns developed this vegetarian version that is full on flavour but is made with just a few ingredients and an incredibly simple process. The key is to let your onions caramelize that is where the magic happens!
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cups thinly sliced yellow onions (about 2 onions)
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme (optional)
- 1 cup plain croutons
- 16 thin slices Swiss cheese
- In a pot, melt butter over medium heat and stir in onions with a wooden spoon. Let the onions cook for about 15 minutes until they are soft and golden. Add broth and sherry and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Spoon the soup into 4 ovenproof bowls. Top with croutons and layer cheese over the top of each. Broil on low for approx. 3 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbling. Let rest for a few minutes and serve hot!
Recipe developed by NicoleBurnsFood. Nicole is a mother of four who likes to cook, and once upon a time sold baking professionally. With a background of food industry know-how, Nicole writes about interesting and relevant facts about food through her life and work. Check out her blog for insightful food-inspired posts and recipes!