This recipe was developed by Certified Holistic Nutritionist, Catherine Sugrue for Produce Made Simple.
What Catherine has to say about this recipe! “I love sauce. If I could, I would sauce everything up. But as a Certified Holistic Nutritionist, I prefer to make my own simple sauces to avoid unnecessary ingredients. This simple marinara sauce is full of fresh ingredients so it’s bursting with flavour, even without the traditional inclusion of red wine. I love using this recipe for topping pasta, dipping or to just add an extra kick to other recipes. You’ll find that once you start using this simple recipe, you won’t want to go back to other store-bought sauces again.”
5 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3-4 fresh Ontario greenhouse grown tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- Sea salt & pepper, to taste
- Add olive oil and onion to a saucepan or skillet, on medium heat. Sweat onion for approximately 5 minutes, then add the garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes to soften.
- Add tomatoes and stir. Add rosemary. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Let simmer on low for about 20 minutes, until tomatoes are completely cooked, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and enjoy on top of pasta, or as a pizza sauce or just for dipping.
- Keeps for up to 1 week in the fridge in a sealed container.
Change up the herbs to suit your taste. Instead of rosemary, you could also try basil, parsley, thyme, oregano, or other herbs.
Produce Made Simple thanks our feature member, Ontario Greenhouse Vegetable Growers for supporting the development of this delicious recipe, created by Catherine Sugrue. Catherine is a Certified Holistic Nutritionist (CNP) and the founder of Catherine’s Cabinet, a website created with the goal of offering fun, but accurate and meaningful, health and wellness information. She also stays busy as the COO of the popular website DotheDaniel.com where she offers a hands-on and edgy approach to health and lifestyle.