Have you ever had fresh cherries in a salad before? Well if you haven’t, this Frisée Salad with Fresh Cherries, Roasted Walnuts and Blue Cheese is a great first recipe to try. The sweetness from the cherries complements the bitterness of the frisée lettuce, while the walnuts, blue cheese and cherry vinaigrette tie the rest of the salad together.
Not a lover of blue cheese? You can use goat cheese or Gorgonzola in this recipe instead.
Serves 4 as a side dish, 2 as a meal
- ½ cup (125 mL) walnuts, roasted and chopped in halves
- 1 head of Frisee lettuce, washed and torn into bite sized pieces
- 3 cups (24 ounces) spring mix, washed and spun dry
- ¾ cup (175 mL) fresh cherries, washed and sliced in half
- ½ cup (125 mL) crumbled blue cheese (or goat cheese if you prefer)
- ½ cup (125 mL) olive oil
- 1/3 cup (85 mL) black cherry vinegar
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) maple syrup
- Salt and pepper, for taste
- Heat oven to 375° degrees F. Evenly spread walnuts onto a non-stick baking sheet in a single layer. Roast for 8-10 minutes, or until walnuts have turned a darker shade or begin to smell toasted. Alternatively, dry roast, turning occasionally in a frying pan over medium heat watching carefully not to burn. Remove from oven/stovetop and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine Frisee lettuce, spring mix, toasted walnuts, cherries and blue cheese.
- In a separate smaller bowl, mix olive oil, black cherry vinegar, balsamic vinegar, garlic, Dijon mustard, maple syrup and salt & pepper.
- Drizzle salad dressing over large bowl and toss together. Serve immediately.