Add a hint of acidity and sweetness to classic grilled cheese by adding fresh plums and blueberries from Chile. We added extra protein from rotisserie chicken too.
Makes 2 sandwiches
- 4 pieces of sliced bread
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter or margarine
- 1 Plum from Chile, stone removed, sliced thin
- ½ cup (60 mL) Blueberries from Chile, cut into halves
- ¾ cup (175 mL) cooked chicken, cut into strips
- 8-12 oz (170-225 g) cheese of your choice, e.g. Brie or a neutral cheese like mozzarella
- Butter one side of each piece of bread. Preheat frying pan on medium-low heat.
- Assemble sandwiches with the butter side facing out, and layer the fruit and meat between the cheese. We cut the blueberries in half so they don’t roll about too much, but this is optional. Cook on medium-low heat to allow the cheese to melt. If your bread doesn’t look sufficiently toasted, turn up the heat slightly near the end of the cooking time to reach desired colour. Be sure to cook evenly on both sides.
- Remove from heat and enjoy!
Note: Make this vegetarian by removing the meat.
Another option you may like to try is to replace the bread with a tortilla.
Place a tortilla on a flat surface and cut it from the centre down to one edge. Place four different ingredients flat on each quarter; for instance plums, chicken, blueberries and cheese. Starting from the cut edge, fold each quarter in rotation until you have one triangle shaped pocket. Grill both sides and enjoy.