Enjoy the flavours of take-out but made simple! Homemade stir-fried Garlic Chili noodles with lots of fresh, Ontario asparagus, peppers, and carrots! Veggies are the key to a delicious stir fry ;)
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) soy sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chili garlic sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced ginger
- Half a bunch Ontario asparagus (8 oz/250 g), trimmed and cut diagonally into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces
- ½ Ontario Greenhouse sweet red pepper, cut into julienne strips
- 2 Ontario carrots, cut into thin diagonal slices
- 400 g package thin steamed egg noodles (chow mein)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil, divided
- 3 green onions, chopped
- ¼ cup (60 mL) fresh coriander leaves
- Place chicken in a medium bowl.
- Stir together soy and chili garlic sauces, rice vinegar and ginger. Pour half over chicken and toss to coat well. Reserve remaining mixture.
- The easiest way to prepare the noodles is to boil a kettle of water. Place noodles in a large heatproof bowl. Cut noodles with scissors to make them easier to toss and eat. When water boils, pour over noodles and let stand until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain well. Return to large bowl.
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil over medium-high heat. Add marinated chicken and stir-fry until chicken is cooked, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a clean bowl.
- Return skillet to medium heat, add remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil. Add asparagus, red pepper and carrots. Stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add 2 tbsp (25 mL) water and cook until tender-crisp, another 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in reserved soy and chili garlic sauce mixture, and chicken. Cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Pour over noodles, add green onions and coriander and toss well.
You can substitute 6 oz (175 g) thin dry spaghetti noodles, cooked until tender, for the steamed egg noodles.