Try to resist this colourful bowl filled with sliced avocado, crispy Ontario asparagus, garlic shrimp and hard-cooked eggs. It’s an irresistible mix of veggies and proteins!
- ½ cup rice wine vinegar or rice vinegar
- ¼ cup toasted or regular sesame oil
- 1 zest of lime
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- ⅛ cup mirin rice wine
- ⅛ cup less sodium soy sauce
- ⅔ pound large black tiger shrimps, peeled and washed
- 12 Ontario asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅛ cup olive oil
- 1 zest of lemon
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ¼ tsp EACH salt & pepper
- 8 ⅛ oz rice vermicelli noodles, prepared according to package directions
- 4 soft-cooked eggs, peeled and halved
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced
- ½ cup sliced green onion
- Black sesame seeds for garnish
- To make the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, lime zest and juice, mirin and soy sauce; set aside.
- To make the bowl: In a medium bowl, coat shrimp and asparagus in garlic, olive oil, lemon zest and juice, salt and pepper. Heat a large skillet, over medium-high heat, add shrimp mixture and cook, stirring often, for 6 to 7 minutes or until shrimp are cooked.
- Divide cooked noodles, eggs, sliced avocado and shrimp mixture between four bowls. Sprinkle with green onions and black sesame seeds. Drizzle with dressing.
Tip: you can substitute the mirin rice wine for 2 tbsp (30 mL) white wine and 1 tsp (5 mL) sugar.
Thank you to our friends at Egg Farmers of Ontario for generously providing us with this recipe.