This is a sandwich even the picky eaters will love! Sautéed Ontario mushrooms add a meaty texture to this gooey Gouda Grilled Cheese. Enjoy this sandwich on its own, with some tomato soup or even your favourite Ontario craft beer!
Not a fan of gouda? Switch it out for your favourite cheese! You will not be left disappointed.
Serves 2 sandwiches
- ½ cup Vidalia or yellow onion, sliced finely
- 1 cup (8 ounces) Ontario mushrooms (cremini or button), sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2-3 Tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 2-4 Tbsp of butter, unsalted
- 4 slices of white bread (or whole wheat if that is your preference)
- 4-6 slices of gouda cheese (or 1 cup (8 ounces) shredded)
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet. Add sliced onion and stir occasionally while cooking. When onion is slightly caramelized and soft, remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add the sliced mushrooms and garlic, and stir while cooking over medium-high heat until almost all of the juice from the mushrooms evaporates, approx. 5 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- If the skillet is very wet, wipe with a clean paper towel or dish cloth, taking care not to burn yourself as the pan will still be hot. Then return to the stovetop and melt the butter over medium-low heat.
- While the butter melts, start to put together the sandwiches. On one slice of bread, add the gouda cheese and roasted mushrooms with garlic and onions, then layer with more gouda cheese. Top with the other slice of bread. Lightly press the sandwich together.
- In the skillet with melted butter, place the sandwiches down. Allow one side of the bread to turn lightly brown before flipping over to the other side. Cook for 2-3 more minutes until the other side is lightly brown and the cheese is melted.
- Remove grilled cheese sandwiches from skillet and move to a plate. Slice in half or quarters and enjoy!