Everyone loves a bright, colourful, and flavourful Greek Salad! This Greek Summer Salad recipe is full of vibrant veggies and great, Ontario-grown flavour (even when it’s not summertime). Enjoy this as a starter salad, or as a main meal with your favourite protein.
- 6 tbsp. (90 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp. (45 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp. (45 ml) red wine vinegar
- ¼ tsp. (2 g) dried oregano
- 2 tbsp.(30 ml) lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ tsp. (3 g) salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- ½ cup (125 g) red onion, sliced
- 1 Ontario greenhouse cucumber, peeled and sliced ¼ inch thick
- 2 romaine lettuce hearts, torn into bite size pieces
- 2 cups (500 g) Ontario greenhouse cocktail tomatoes, halved
- 1 Ontario greenhouse red pepper, roasted, peeled, seeded and cut into ½ inch wide strips
- ¼ cup (63 g) fresh mint, minced
- ¾ cup (189 g) kalamata olives, pitted
- 5 oz. (142 g) feta cheese, crumbled
- Coat peppers with a light layer of vegetable oil. Rotate peppers over open flame, either on a bbq or gas stove, until peppers turn black and blister. If an open flame isn’t available, a broiler can be used. Slice the pepper in half and remove the core, seeds and membrane. On a broiler plate, place peppers open side down and broil until skins are black .
- Whisk the first 8 ingredients together in a bowl large enough to hold the entire salad.
- Add the onion and Ontario greenhouse cucumber, then marinate for 20 minutes.
- Add the romaine lettuce hearts, Ontario greenhouse peppers and tomatoes and mint to the bowl and toss.
- Arrange the salad on a platter or divide evenly on serving plates.
- Sprinkle with kalamata olives and feta cheese
Per serving (327 g): Calories 400 Fat 37 g (57 %), Saturated Fat 9 g + Trans Fat 0 g (45 %), Cholesterol 35 mg, Sodium 1150 mg (48 %), Carbohydrate 15 g (5 %), Fibre 3 g (12%), Sugars 7 g, Protein 8 g, Vit A (20 %), Vit C (140 %), Calcium (25 %), Iron (15 %). % = % Daily Value
Get inspired with more Greek Salad ideas!
This recipe was developed with support by our featured member, Ontario Greenhouse Vegetable Growers.