Serves 2 servings
20 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ⅓ cup mirin
- ⅓ cup sake
- 2 ½ tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 bunch Ontario-grown asparagus, ends trimmed
- 4 bamboo skewers, soaked overnight
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup cooked edamame
- 2 mini cucumbers, cut into ribbons
- ¼ head red cabbage, shredded
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Shichimi togarashi or crushed red pepper flakes, for sprinkling
- Pour the soy sauce, mirin, sake, and sugar in a small saucepan. Place over medium heat and simmer until the sugar dissolves. Take the mixture off of the heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- Cut the asparagus in half and place them in a large bowl. Pour the soy sauce mixture over top. Cover and transfer to the fridge. Let marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- When the asparagus is done marinating, string 8-9 pieces of asparagus onto the bamboo skewers and set them aside. Reserve the marinade.
- When ready to cook, heat the grill or cast-iron griddle until smoking. Place the skewers on the grill and grill until tender with a slight char. About 2-3 minutes aside. Take the asparagus off of the grill and keep warm until ready to serve.
- In a non stick skillet heat a small amount of oil and crack the eggs into the pan. Fry the eggs sunny-side-up until the whites are set. This should take about 5 minutes.
- Divide the rice between two bowls and drizzle with a little of the asparagus marinade.Top the rice with two of the asparagus skewers, the edamame, cucumbers, red cabbage, and a fried egg.
30 minutes marinating time
Recipe by: Rhub and Cod