This salad takes classic waldorf salad and adding a twist! Grilled chicken adds a little extra charred flavour and Ontario-grown apples add a sweet crunch!
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) fat-free Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) honey
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh chives
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grainy mustard
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and freshly ground pepper
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 3 Ontario apples, such as Royal Gala, Cortland or Empire, cored and halved
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) canola oil, divided
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) freshly ground pepper, divided
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh thyme
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 6 cups (1.5 L) mixed salad greens
- 1 celery rib, finely sliced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped toasted walnuts
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) golden raisins
- Whisk the yogurt with the vinegar, honey, oil, chives, mustard, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Set aside.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high; grease the grate well. Brush the apples with half the oil and season with half the salt and pepper. Toss the chicken with remaining oil, salt and pepper and the thyme and garlic.
- Grill the chicken, turning once, for 10 to 15 minutes or until well marked and cooked through. Grill the apples, turning occasionally, for 7 to 10 minutes or until well-marked and tender. Cool slightly. Thinly slice the chicken and apples.
- Toss the greens with the celery, walnuts, raisins, chicken, apples and the dressing. Serve immediately.
Nutritional Information per Serving (2 cups/500 mL), Calories 335, Fat 11 g, Cholesterol 63 mg, Sodium 269 mg, Carbohydrates 33 g, Fibre 6.5 g, Sugar 25 g, Protein 28 g