Transform watermelon from sweet to savoury with this mouth-watering Thai-inspired sauce. Watermelon wedges are grilled until caramelized, drizzled with garlic chili sauce and garnished with cilantro. Serve as a side dish along with ribs, chicken or shrimp.
Serves 8 - 10 servings
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lime zest
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) lime juice
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) honey, divided
- 2 tsp (5 mL) garlic chili sauce
- Pinch of salt
- 1 medium sized Watermelon
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh chopped cilantro
- Preheat grill to high.
- In bowl, whisk together, lime zest, juice, 3 tbsp (45 mL) of the honey, garlic chili sauce and salt.
- Cut watermelon into 1-inch (2.5 cm) thick wedges. Lightly drizzle each side with remaining honey and place on grill. Grill until just browned, about 2 minutes per side. Place watermelon slices on a plate and drizzle with lime dressing. Garnish with cilantro.
- Tip: Garlic chili sauce makes a great marinade for ribs, chicken and shrimp.
- Another tip: Grill watermelon with a brush of honey or nothing at all to keep it simple.
Per serving: about 120 cal, 2 g pro, 0 g total fat, 31 g carb, 1 g fiber, 0 mg chol, 45 mg sodium. %RDI: iron 4%, calcium 2%, vit A 35%, vit C 45%