In India, raita (cucumber-yogurt dip) is used to cool the palate. The spiciness of the trout can be controlled by the amount of cayenne pepper used. Serve this dish with a side of Basmati rice.
- 2 Rainbow Trout Fillets (about 12 ozs/350g each), halved
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each ground cumin, paprika and coriander seed
- ½ tsp (2 mL) each turmeric, salt and black pepper
- 1/8 tsp (.5 mL) cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) minced fresh ginger
- 1½ cups (375 mL) seeded, diced Cucumbers
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh mint
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) each lime juice and liquid honey
- ½ tsp (2 mL) each ground cumin, coriander seed and salt
- Place trout pieces, skin side down, on lightly oiled baking pan in single layer.
- Combine 1 tsp (5 mL) each cumin, paprika and coriander seed, turmeric, salt, pepper and cayenne. Add oil, garlic and ginger to make a paste. Brush evenly over tops of fillets.
- In medium bowl, combine cucumber, green onions and mint. In separate bowl, combine remaining ingredients and toss with cucumber mixture. Chill until ready to serve.
- Broil trout for about 6 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Serve with raita.
Nutrients per serving (1/4 recipe): 408 calories, 19 g total fat, 668 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrates, 2 g fibre, 44 g protein. Excellent source of thiamin and vitamin B12. Good source of folate, riboflavin and calcium.