Mahy’s grandpa made bread salad all the time. It was like his version of croutons, only he made it using flatbread or Pita bread. The bread is cut up and toasted on the stove with fresh herbs, garlic and olive oil until toasty. Juicy ON tomatoes are so sweet and seasonal right now, they make the perfect summer salad on their own with just a pinch of salt and olive oil. Here it’s paired with this toasty bread chunks, feta cheese, shallots, lots of fresh mint, oregano and a simple lemon juice dressing. The perfect salad to your BBQ or just a simple lunch bowl.
- 1 pita bread (or naan bread) cut up into chunks with your hands into 1/2 inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano or thyme
- 6 Juicy ON tomatoes cut up into wedges
- 1 shallot
- 1/4 cup minced fresh mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano mint
- 1/2 cup feta cubed
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Start by making the bread: Add the bread and all ingredients in a 9 inch skillet and toast over medium heat until the bread is toasty and golden. Set aside to cool while you prepare the salad.
- In a large plate add the tomatoes and all remaining ingredients. Toss well and add the cooled bread chunks. Toss and enjoy :)
- Serve this salad alongside your BBQ as a perfect side dish, lunch bowl, or snack. ENJOY!!
Recipe by Mahy of Two Purple Figs