This is a zesty condiment or salad that has a flavour reminiscent of Korean cabbage kimchi. Not for the faint of heart, this dish can be very addictive for those who like bold flavours. Serve it on the side of your favourite entrees, these kimchi tomatoes made with Ontario greenhouse-grown vegetables are perfect alongside BBQ! And if you have any guests who are vegan or gluten-free, this is a perfect side for them!
15 minPrep Time
15 minTotal Time
- 2 Ontario Greenhouse Beefsteak potatoes
- 4 Ontario Greenhouse Mini Seedless Cucumbers
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced Spanish onion
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced garlic
- 1 tsp (5 mL) minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp (5 mL) paprika
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) green onions, white and light-green parts, cut on the diagonal
- Combine tomatoes, cucumber, onion, garlic, ginger, vinegar, sugar, cayenne, paprika, and salt in a large resealable plastic food storage bag. Seal and massage to coat evenly. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to overnight. If desired, drain off some but not all of the liquid.
- Before serving, stir in green onions.
- Best served the day prepared but keeps for up to 2 days in the fridge.
This recipe is kindly provided by our featured member, Ontario Greenhouse Vegetable Growers