These simple, flavour-packed Korean lettuce cups courtesy of our friends at Zespri are the perfect meal for any day of the week. The not so secret ingredient that takes these over the top is the Sungold Kiwifruit-cucumber salsa. The raw kiwi adds freshness and sweetness making this a perfect summer meal idea.
- 1/4 cup gochujang sauce (Korean chili pepper paste)*
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 2 Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped cucumber
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 8 Bibb lettuce leaves
- Lime wedges
- *Sriracha sauce or barbecue sauce can be substituted for the gochujang sauce.
- In medium microwavable bowl, stir together gochujang sauce, soy sauce and sesame oil. Stir in chicken. Cover loosely with waxed paper. Heat on High power 1 to 2 minutes, stirring halfway through heating, until hot.
- In small bowl, stir together kiwifruit, cucumber, bell pepper, onion and cilantro.
- For each lettuce cup, spoon about 1/4 cup chicken mixture and a scant 1/4 cup salsa onto lettuce leaf. Serve with a lime wedge.
- Recipe tips: 1 pound medium cooked and shelled shrimp can be substituted for the chicken. Reduce gochujang sauce to 3 tablespoons. A serrated peeler works best for peeling kiwifruit.