This Layered Angel Food Cake with Fresh Berries and Whipped Cream tastes just as good as it looks and it’s SUPER easy to make. Use store bought angel food cake to save time, and the rest is a ‘piece of cake’. Fresh berries make this sweet treat refreshing, while the whipped cream keeps things light. This is perfect to serve during the summer or after a heavy meal.
Serves 8-10 pieces of cake
- 2 cups (500 mL) of prepared mixed berries (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and blackberries)
- Approx. 1 cup (250 mL) fresh whipping cream (35% cream). NOTE: One small carton of 237 mL is sufficient.
- 1-2 Tbsp (15-30 mL) sugar, sweeten to suit your taste
- 1 angel food cake (store bought or homemade, whichever you prefer)(You can also make this recipe with white cake)
- Wash and spin berries. If using strawberries, remove tops and cut into bite sized pieces. Keep a few whole for styling. Simply wash smaller berries like blueberries, raspberries or blackberries. Combine in a large bowl.
- In a stainless-steel bowl, whip cream with sugar until firm peaks form.
- Remove the angel food cake from the packaging and slice in half vertically. Place bottom half onto platter.
- Take ½ of the whipped cream and spread an even layer on the cake. Then evenly top with half the fresh berries.
- Place the other piece of angel food cake on top of the layer of fresh berries. Repeat step two again with remaining ingredients.