This delicious lemon curd is a great addition to any dessert that needs an extra punch of flavour. It is simple to make, with only a few ingredients and will please any age in a crowd. It can be used for layering between cake, filling in cupcakes and muffins, or even as a spread on toast! This tangy spread can be made a few days prior and stored in the fridge before using it.
Tip: Adding fresh whipped cream to lemon curd adds a light, creamy flavour to it; it’s great as a topping on pound cake or angel food cake.
Approx. 1 cup
- 4 large eggs
- 2 lemons, zested and juiced
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup + 1/8 cup butter, cut into 1 inch cubes
- Separate the eggs. You will need only the yolks for this recipe. Treat yourself to an egg white omelette or meringue with the whites.
- Zest the lemons and juice them. Don't worry about removing the seeds as they will be strained out later.
- Add the egg yolks, sugar, lemon zest and juice to a medium sized saucepan and combine with a wooden spoon. Cook over medium heat, stirring very regularly for about 10 minutes. The mixture will thicken slightly and will coat the back of the spoon.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cubes of butter, mixing until they are melted in and combined.
- Strain mixture using a fine sieve into a bowl or mason jar.
- Let cool on the counter, then cover and keep in the fridge for up to 2 days.