This dish is the epitome of spring! Lemon roasted asparagus gratin is great for weeknight dinners, Easter, or any family gathering to take advantage of the delicious Ontario asparagus of the season!
- 1 lb (500 g) Ontario Asparagus, trimmed
- 1½ tbsp (22.5 mL) olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) grated lemon rind
- ¼ tsp (2.5 mL) each salt and pepper
- ½ cup (125 mL) Panko crumbs (Japanese bread crumbs)
- ½ cup (125 mL) shredded Asiago cheese
- 1½ tbsp (22.5 mL) lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Spread asparagus evenly in 13 X 9-inch (3 L) baking dish.
- In small bowl, combine olive oil, garlic, lemon rind, salt and pepper. Drizzle over asparagus and toss to coat. Roast for about 10 minutes, shaking dish halfway, or until asparagus is tender-crisp.
- In bowl, combine bread crumbs, cheese and lemon juice; sprinkle over asparagus and bake for about 3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Place dish under broil and broil for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden.
Nutrients per serving (1/4 recipe): 155 calories, 10 g total fat, 263 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrates, 3 g fibre, 7 g protein. Excellent source of folate. Good source of iron.