These light and delicious Lemon and Walnut Biscotti’s are firm but not rock hard and keep well for several weeks in an airtight container. Enjoy the fresh lemon and crunchy toasted walnut flavour of these biscotti in your own home with a cup of coffee or tea!
They are great to have as a little snack also or even as a gift to someone with a sweet tooth, that loves homemade baked goods!
Have nut allergies in the family? Eliminate the walnuts to make these biscotti’s just lemon flavoured.
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts (175 mL)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened (50 mL)
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil (45 mL)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar (175 mL)
- 2 eggs
- Grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (625 mL)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder 7 mL
- 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger 7 mL
- Place walnuts on baking sheet and bake at 350°F (180°C) 5 to 7 minutes until fragrant and lightly toasted; set aside.
- In large bowl, cream butter and oil with sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until mixture is smooth and creamy. Add grated rind and juice. In small bowl, combine flour, baking powder and ginger, stir into creamed mixture. Mix in walnuts. Cover and chill dough at least 4 hours.
- Divide dough into 3 portions. On lightly floured board, roll dough into logs about 1 1/2 inches (4 cm) in diameter and 10 inches (25 cm) long. Place the logs on ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 325°F (160°C) 30 minutes or until golden and firm to the touch. Cool 10 minutes.
- Using a sharp knife, carefully slice logs diagonally about 1/2 inch (1 cm) thick. Place slices, cut side down, on baking sheet. Bake at 300°F (150°C) about 20 minutes or until light golden brown underneath. Cool on racks. Store in airtight container.