Colder weather doesn’t mean you need to give up on fresh produce! This recipe is the ultimate fall meal. It uses some of the best of fall produce – Ontario carrots, greens, and onions – and combines them with protein-rich lentils for a comforting, easy dish that can even be eaten for a delicious, satiating breakfast!
Serves 4 servings0
- 2 19oz cans lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 bunch chard
- 4 medium carrots, diced
- 2 small onions, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Couple handfuls of cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon butter (optional)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4-5 eggs
- Warm olive oil on medium heat in a large cast iron pan and add onions and carrots. Cook on medium heat until just barely softened. add garlic and cook for another minute, stirring well.
- Add cherry tomatoes and chard, and cook, stirring often, until chard is wilted.
- Add lentils, stir, then pour in chicken stock.
- Let simmer for around 5 minutes, or until the stock is almost evaporated.
- If desired, stir in butter until melted.
- In the meantime, heat a pan of water and poach eggs.
- Serve lentils with poached eggs, garnished with parsley if desired.