You can enjoy watermelon at work when you pack this Maple Ancient Grain Salad for lunch! Juicy chunks of watermelon brighten up chewy cooked kamut grains.
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) pure maple syrup
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp (10 mL) lemon zest
- dash salt (to taste)
- 3 cups (750 mL) warm cooked kamut grain (about 1 1/2 cups dry)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) coarsely chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup (85 mL) diced green onions, plus 1 tablespoon
- 1/3 cup (85 mL) thin-sliced celery
- 1 cup (250 mL) corn, grill if preferred
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped watermelon (bite sized pieces)
- Blend oil, maple syrup, lemon juice, lemon zest, and salt in a small bowl.
- Add kamut and nuts. Stir thoroughly and let sit until cooled.
- Assemble salad in a tall, glass bowl: layer 1/3 of the kamut on the bottom, topped by half each of the onions and celery, corn, and watermelon. Repeat.
- Add the last 1/3 of the kamut to the top and sprinkle with the remaining 1 tbsp of diced green onion.
- Present as a layered salad and toss just before serving.