Make these Mediterranean Mushroom and Chicken Skewers with Ontario mushrooms for your next family BBQ! If using wooden skewers, soak in water for at least 30 minutes to minimize scorching!
- 16 whole Ontario Mushrooms
- 1 lb (500 g) boneless, skinless Ontario Chicken Breasts, cut into 1-inch/2.5 cm cubes
- 1 lemon, thickly sliced
- ½ cup (125 mL) purchased tzatziki
- 8 wooden or metal skewers
- ¼ cup (60 mL) olive oil
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves Ontario Garlic, minced
- 1½ tsp (7.5 mL) dried oregano
- 1 tsp (5 mL) chopped fresh rosemary
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- Combine all marinade ingredients and place in resealable plastic bag. Add mushrooms and chicken pieces and toss to coat. Seal and marinate at least 2 hours or overnight in the refrigerator, tossing occasionally.
- Cut lemon slices into 4 quarters. Alternate chicken, mushrooms and lemon pieces onto skewers, starting and ending with chicken.
- Grill over medium-high heat for about 10 to 12 minutes, or until chicken is cooked, turning once. Serve with tzatziki.
Nutrients per serving: 294 calories, 14 g total fat, 272 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrates, 1 g fibre, 35 g protein. Excellent source of riboflavin, niacin and vitamin D. Good source of zinc.