Rhubarb’s bright and tart flavour is mellowed with sugar in this versatile Raspberry Rhubarb Compôte. Raspberries with a touch of ginger provide a beautiful pink hue and complement the rhubarb with some summer sweetness and zing.
Serve as it is or try it with yogurt, on cereal, pancakes, cake or in our delicious trifle (below).
- 1 cup (250 mL) sugar (reduce to ¾ cup if you don’t like it too sweet)
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 3 cups (750 mL) chopped rhubarb. This is about 4 medium stalks chopped thinly OR roughly ½-1 inch, depending on how thin or chunky you want your compote.
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grated ginger
- ½ pint (170 g) raspberries, optional: puréed and seeds strained
- In a medium-sized pot over medium heat, stir sugar and water until dissolved.
- Add in chopped rhubarb, grated ginger and whole raspberries (unless you strained the seeds) and keep on medium heat, cooking at a gentle boil for about 10 minutes until the rhubarb is translucent, stirring occasionally.
- If you strained the seeds, add the raspberry purée and continue cooking until rhubarb is tender (another 5 minutes). If you did not strain the seeds, continue cooking until rhubarb is fall-apart tender.
- May be served either warm or cold. To use cold, immediately remove from heat and place pot in an ice bath, stirring until compôte is cold.
- Store in a sterilized jar for up to a week. Keep refrigerated.
Makes about 2 cups of rhubarb raspberry compôte. Great on pancakes, waffles, yogurt, cakes, or even goat-cheese-topped toast!
Our vegan trifle is made with coconut cream but if you prefer, normal whipped cream is also delicious! If you are looking for a yummy vegan vanilla cake recipe, we suggest you review: thevietvegan.com
Lisa Le is the creator behind The Viet Vegan, a vegan and ethical lifestyle food blog and Youtube channel. She documents her plant-based life; sharing about delicious food, her eczema-healing journey, and mental health. Lisa always aims to advocate for veganism with an intersectional approach: creating vegan content with an environmentally-conscious, LGBTQ+ inclusive, self-critical and feminist lens.