You’ll be delightfully surprised to find these orange cranberry muffins are loaded with a secret ingredient… sweet red peppers! It’s hard not to love a muffin that contains more vegetables than sugar!
- 2 ½ cups NatureFresh™ Farms Mini Sweet Peppers
- 4 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons table salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 1 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 tbsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 orange, zested
- Wash all produce before you start baking. Preheat oven to 350’ and lightly oil your muffin pans or line with paper muffin cups.
- Slice Mini Sweet Peppers and remove seeds. Using a blender or food processor, puree 1 ½ cups of peppers and set aside. Finely dice the remaining peppers.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, white sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg.
- Crack your eggs into a separate measuring cup. Add milk, oil, and vanilla extract and beat to combine.
- Add the liquid ingredients, including the pepper puree, to dry ingredients in mixing bowl. Using a wooden spoon, gently mix the ingredients together. Fold in the dried cranberries, orange zest, and remaining peppers, taking care not to over mix.
- Carefully fill each prepared muffin cup to the brim with your batter. Bake muffins for 20 minutes. Place muffins on rack to cool for 5 minutes after baking.
This recipe can easily be prepared in advance! Separately measure and prep the wet and dry ingredients a day or two in advance so that they are ready to combine and bake when you’ve got the time!
Thank you to our partner Nature Fresh Farms for generously sharing this recipe with us.