This cozy vegetarian version of traditional cottage pie features a medley of Ontario-grown mushrooms and tender lentils in a rich vegetable gravy served under a golden mashed potato lid. This stunner takes a little time to make but both the filling and the potatoes can be made up to three days in advance and the leftovers can’t be beat.
Serves Serves 6-8
30 minPrep Time
1 hrCook Time
1 hr, 30 Total Time
- For the Filling:
- 4 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 227g (8oz) white mushrooms, sliced
- 227g (8oz) cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 200g (7oz) king oyster mushrooms, sliced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled, halved, and sliced
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tsp honey
- ¾ cups dried green lentils
- 142g (5oz) green kale, stalks removed and coarsely chopped
- Mashed Potato Lid
- 4-5 Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ cup chives, finely chopped
- 2 egg yolks
- Pour half of the oil into a large, deep skillet and place over medium heat. Once the oil is shimmering, add the mushrooms and a generous pinch of salt. Brown them before transferring them to a bowl and setting them aside. You may have to work in batches to avoid crowding the pan.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan and add the onion, carrots, celery, and a sprinkling of salt. Sauté until the onions are just translucent. Stir in the garlic and sauté for a minute more. Transfer the veg to a bowl and set it aside.
- Add the butter to the pan. Once the butter melts, whisk in the flour, tomato paste, and Dijon mustard. Slowly whisk in the wine and vegetable stock. Return the mushrooms and veggies to the pot and add the soy sauce, honey, and lentils. Bring the mixture up to a boil and reduce to simmer. Let simmer uncovered for 30 minutes or until the lentils are tender with a slight bite.
- Turn off the heat and fold in the kale. Pour the filling into a 9x13 casserole dish. Set it aside to cool. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- While the lentils are simmering, place a large pot of water over high heat. Place a steaming basket on top and add the potatoes. Cover and steam the potatoes for 15-20 minutes or until fork-tender.
- Transfer the potatoes to a bowl and add the garlic, butter, chives, and salt. Mash until very smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
- When the potatoes are cooled, fold in the egg yolks. Cover the filling with the mashed potato mixture and place it in the oven. Bake for 35 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Recipe by Susan of Rhub and Cod