A while ago I came across this Syrian dish and I was mesmerized by how flavorful it was! I couldn’t stop ordering it and thinking about making it, until I did! It’s a rich tasting condiment with a complex of flavors from the red peppers, pomegranate molasses , walnuts and much more! To start, I picked some Ontario grown Greenhouse Red peppers–available all year round, super sweet and sustainably grown. As soon as I saw those red peppers, I knew it was time to share this recipe!
✅It’s perfect as a dip with pita or veggies
✅It’s a great condiment to grilled meats
✅It can also make a delicious sauce to pasta, a tasty spread on your sandwiches and a great sauce for your pizzas–YES Pizza!
- 3 Red bell peppers, deseeded and cut in half
- 1 shallot
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes (optional)
- 1/3 cup toasted walnuts
- 1/4 cup toasted panko bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 Tablespoons pomegranate molasses
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to broil.
- Place the cut red bell peppers, skin side up on a baking sheet and broil for 5-7 minutes, rotating your sheet until the peppers have charred.
- Place the bell peppers in a sealable container to soften the skin for 10 minutes.
- Peel the charred skin of the peppers and you're left with sweet, roasted bell peppers ready to use.
- In a food processor, add the bell peppers and all remaining ingredients.
- Process until smooth.
- It's ready to enjoy right away!!
- Garnish with more pomegranate molasses , walnuts and pomegranate arils
Recipe by Mahy of Two Purple Figs