This tasty recipe was create for us by Irene Matys!
This hearty, warming one pan mushroom skillet pie is special enough to serve to guests, but easy enough to make that it can also be eaten as a casual weeknight dinner.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 medium leeks, thinly sliced, white and light green parts
- 250g white Ontario mushrooms, sliced
- 250g cremini Ontario mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 fuji Ontario apple, or any sweet apple, skin on and diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1/3 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 Tender Flake 9-inch deep dish pie crust, thawed
- Flour for dusting
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp cream
- Pinch of course sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heat oil and butter in a 9-inch cast iron skillet over medium-hight heat. Sauté leeks for 4-5 minutes until soft and slightly golden.
- Add mushrooms and sauté for 4-5 minutes until soft. Stir in thyme and add wine. Cook for 1-2 minutes until wine has slightly reduced.
- Stir in apples and season with salt and pepper. Turn off heat and sprinkle blue cheese on top of mushroom mixture.
- Dust smooth surface with flour. Roll out pie crust enough to cover top of skillet and overlap slightly, approximately 11 inches. Gently cover top of skillet with pie crust and pinch around sides to seal.
- Make two slits with knife in the centre of pie crust. To make egg wash, beat egg with one tablespoon of cream and a pinch of coarse sea salt.
- Brush pie crust well with egg wash and bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until pie crust turns golden.
Recipe by Irene Matys for Produce Made Simple.